Image link to version of this page in Inuktitut

Lands Department

Certificates of Exception

A certificate of exception will notify potential land users that, as per provisions of the Final Land Claim Agreement, they are not required to secure consent from the appropriate Regional Inuit Association to enter onto Inuit Owned Land.

To secure a Certificate of Exception the potential land user should complete and submit an application to the KIA Lands department.

If you are unsure whether or not the proposed operation falls under a Certificate of Exception then you should contact our office prior to application. We will determine if a Certificate of Exception is applicable and this will prevent unnecessary delays in processing your application.

The duration of a Certificate of Exception will be up to 12 months and it may be renewed. A Certificate of Exception will be issued as soon as the application is received. However, should the application require a more detailed review then decision will be made within a reasonable time of period.